What Are the Benefits of Raisins?
- Eating Raisins Can Reduce Hunger And By Changing Hormones That Affect Fullness, It Reduces Energy Intake With Food And This Can Help Maintain Body Weight.
- May Improve Heart Health. Due to its phenolic compounds and high fiber content, raisins regulate cardiovascular health parameters by increasing plasma antioxidant capacity and lowering total and LDL cholesterol levels, systolic blood pressure and molecules related to inflammatory response.
- Raisins Have a Low to Moderate Glycemic Index (GI 49-69). For Diabetics Or Those With Insulin Resistance, Raisins Are A Healthy Choice As They May Be Linked To A Lower Risk Of Type 2 Diabetes With Their Higher Fiber And Antioxidant Capacity As Well As A GI.
- It has the potential to protect dental health. It supports good oral health due to its antibacterial activity, low probability of sticking to teeth, and oral PH below the enamel-damaging threshold.
- Supports Intestinal Health, Provides Protection Against Colon Cancer. Prebiotic Content Affects Intestinal Microbiota Positively. Sun Dried Raisins Contain High Prebiotics (Indigestible Fiber) with 5.7 Gr per 100 Grams.
- It is antioxidant and antibacterial, these properties come from its phenolic compounds. Raisins Are The Food With The Highest Phenolic Compounds Among The Studies. (Mg/Kg) Raisins > Tarhana > Dried Black Plums > Dried Apricots > Red Grapes > Fresh Capia Pepper > Fresh Grapes. Levels of Total Phenolic Compounds Show Differences Between Raisin Varieties, White Raisins Have the Lowest Value, and Red Raisins Have the Highest Value. With Antioxidant Capacity, White Raisins Have the Lowest Value, while Red Raisins Have the Highest Value.
- It contains boron (2.2 mg per 100 grams), an essential trace element very important for the growth and maintenance of healthy bones and joints. Boron may have a preventive effect on osteoporosis by reducing the loss of calcium in postmenopausal women. In addition, the prebiotics in raisins increase calcium and magnesium absorption, protect bone mineral content and density and support bone structure.
What Happens If Raisins Are Eaten Too Much?
Raisins are very beneficial for health when consumed in moderation. However, excessive consumption can lead to weight gain. Raisins are high in calories and sugar content. Therefore, it provides a tendency to gain weight. Excess Consumption of Raisins, Especially by Diabetes Patients, Can Trigger Serious Health Problems. However, excessive consumption of raisins can cause allergies in the body.
Which Raisin Is More Beneficial?
Raisin Type to be Preferred; It Is The Red And Black One, Dried In The Sun. Especially Black Grape With Seeds Plays An Effective Role In Removing Anemia. The Seed of Black Raisin can also be consumed as ground.
How Much Should Raisins Be Eaten?
People with Iron Deficiency and Anemia Can Consume 1-2 Handfuls of Raisins Every Day. Raisin Consumption of Diabetes Patients Should Not Be More Than 1 Handful. Diabetes patients should consult a doctor before consuming raisins. People who just want to benefit from its benefits can consume 4-5 black raisins a day.
How Much Raisin Should You Eat in Diet?
In general, according to the studies carried out so far, it has been determined that it is appropriate to add 80-90 g (1 tea glass) of raisins to the daily diet. The portion amount of raisins for dieters is up to 1 tablespoon. Raisins, whether eaten alone or together with Nuts (Hazelnuts/Walnuts, Etc.), Maintains Constant Glucose Levels and Supports Energy Needs. An excellent source of carbohydrates and a moderate glycemic index, it is an ideal pre-workout snack to provide sustained energy and optimal athletic performance.
What are the Nutritional Values of Raisins?
Raisins contain essential nutrients, soluble and insoluble fibers, health-protecting bioactive components and phytochemicals. Like all fruits, raisins are high in potassium and low in sodium. Compared to other fruits, the ratio of magnesium and iron is higher. Despite High Sugar (60%) Content, Predominantly Fructose and Glucose, Raisins Are The Source Of Useful Components And A Healthy Snack. While Contributing to a Better Diet Quality, Consumption Before Meal Is Appeared To Regulate Appetite In Normal Weight Healthy Individuals.
Type: Dried Fruit